What is the Ha'a Hula Foundation Series?
Experience the hula glow at home with our 10-week interactive, online series! Kumu Andrea offers a gentle and supportive space for beginning dancers, making the process of learning hula easy and accessible. You’ll learn foundational hula steps, a hula dance in the ‘auana (modern) style, plus oli (Hawaiian chants) for inspiration to help you carry the light forward into your life.
ʻAʻa i ka hula, waiho ka hilahila i ka hale... Dare to dance, leave your shyness at home!more about the course...
HA'A HULA FOUNDATION SERIES
New 10-Week Series starting soon! Join us for a weekly online Zoom class series with Kumu Andrea where you will establish your hula foundation, inspire a hula practice, and elevate your experience of aloha.
What is Hula?
Hula is the cultural dance form from the islands of Hawai’i. It is rooted in the natural way the body moves, as well as the movements and cycles of nature. We use our body to sway like the wind, reach for the sun or the moon, incline to the earth, and flow as rivers and the ocean. Like nature, hula is rhythmic, inclusive, transformative, physical, spiritual, and healing.
Our hands tell the story of the lyrics in the songs and our bodies bring the poetry to life. Our dances express reverence for all life, describe the forces of nature, convey love for cherished relations, and portray the legends and history of Hawai’i. As an embodied movement practice, hula supports our connection to elemental, ancestral, and spiritual realms in ways that are both grounding and uplifting.
What we’ll cover in the Ha'a Hula Foundation Class Series:
- Hula Classes (1 hour each) include instruction in:
- Introduction to Hawaiian cultural values and teachings that help you cultivate more joy, peace, and balance in your life
- Simple Hawaiian chants for inspiration and healing
- Exercises that stretch, tone, and strengthen the body
- Warm-up of our foundational steps and hula movement vocabulary
- A beginning hula dance in the ‘auana (modern) style
What you'll get:
- Gentle, supportive, and encouraging hula instruction from Kumu Andrea
- Access to Hula Intro Resources:
- Hula steps tutorial videos
- Hula dance choreography videos
- Song lyrics
- Access to the Learn Hula Online and Ha’a Hula Facebook Community
- The option to enroll in HULA LIFE, our ongoing interactive, online hula class for all levels and ages
- Special discounts on upcoming Hula and Hawaiian Culture retreats in Hawai’i