Ha'a Hula Foundation
We offer this 10-week online class series three times each year. Classes are taught live via Zoom, recorded, and stored in the Library for any-time access. Our next session is Sept 7 - Nov 16!
Kū ana ka hula i ka maka ulu ola...
The beautiful 'olelo no'eau above means "hula transforms the center of life's inspiration." Hula is the beautiful, powerful, and heart-centered cultural dance from Hawai’i. The movement of hula is as soothing for the soul as it is a discipline for the body.
Keep reading if...
- You’ve always wanted to try hula but didn’t know where to begin
- You tried to learn hula from YouTube, but it doesn’t feel right to not have a relationship with a teacher
- You’ve tried other exercise programs but they always feel like a chore or something you “should” do
- You’re looking for a fun and natural way to move your body that you can do at any age, anywhere
- You long to connect with a community that shares common values focused on a positive, uplifting way of living
- You want a way to experience the culture of Hawai’i or deepen your relationship to the islands
- You have a sense that learning an embodied practice is the right next step for your spiritual journey
Hula is more than dance.
Hula is not just a cultural dance style. We like to say “hula is life”, which means the teachings and practice of hula can translate into more joy and balance in your everyday life.
- You feel happy and more confident in your body
- You have more patience with your kids, your spouse, in stressful situations at work, or in general in everyday life
- You experience more energy, enhanced physical health, and greater well-being
- You move through life with more ease, which helps you handle whatever comes your way with less reactivity and more equanimity
- You have a way to contribute something positive to make the world a better place
- You experience a deeper relationship with nature, helping you feel a greater sense of belonging and kinship with all of life
As a result of learning Hula and Hawaiian chants online with us, you will…
- Master the basics of Hula so that you can move with more grace and ease
- Learn basic Hawaiian chants so that you can experience their healing effects
- Feel spiritually connected and guided, giving you a greater sense of belonging, support, and inner strength
- Access new tools, practices and perspectives that offer a blueprint for living with more joy
What people are saying:
I enjoy the pace of the Ha’a Hula class, as well as the ability to watch the videos again later, especially since I’m a slow learner. ~ Valerie M.
I like attending classes on Zoom and how you show us in detail how to do the dances, as well as having the ability to ask you questions for clarification. ~ Kathy S.
Hula has taught me to open my heart and to grow that love. When I come home from hula, I am a kinder, more patient and loving mom. ~ Anna S.
Hula got me back into an exercise routine, which gives me energy, puts me in a better mood, and gives me a connection to my family. ~ Mary R.
Hula has reduced my stress and feeling of aloneness. ~ Marty G.
Hula has helped me gain self-confidence. I am less judgmental about myself now, especially about my appearance and my abilities. ~ Snow M.
What we’ll cover in the Ha'a Hula Foundation Class Series:
- Hula Classes (1 hour each) include instruction in:
- Simple Hawaiian chants for inspiration and healing
- Exercises that stretch, tone, and strengthen the body
- Warm-up of our basic steps and hula movement vocabulary
- Choreography of a beginning hula dance in either kahiko (ancient) or ‘auana (modern) styles
- Introduction to Hawaiian cultural values and teachings that help you cultivate more joy, peace, and balance in your life
What you'll get:
- Supportive and encouraging hula instruction from Kumu Andrea and her alaka'i (teaching assistants)
- Opportunities during class to receive direct feedback from your kumu to help you progress in your skills
- A 20-minute private lesson with Kumu Andrea via Zoom (scheduled separately for the first FIVE people to sign-up)
- Access to the Ha'a Hula FOUNDATION classes resources:
- Video replays from the 10 classes
- Additional video resources
- Oli (chant) & Mele (song) lyrics
- Special discounts on upcoming Hula and Hawaiian Culture retreats in Hawai’i
- BONUS CONTENT: Access to the Ha'a Hula INTRO class resources:
- Hula steps tutorial videos
- Hula dance choreography videos
- Song lyrics
- Access to the Ha’a Hula Facebook Community (coming soon!)
- Upon completion of this course, the option to enroll in Ha'a Hula LIFE, a 12-week online hula class series for all levels